Tuesday, August 07, 2007

oil fraud

I heard a story today in the car on my way home about oil fraud. no, not petrol- but olive.

yes apparently there is much olive oil counter fitting going on overseas. I was surprised by this. I guess I had never really thought about it much. I, like most people, put my trust in the label on the bottle I open. The thing that bothered me was that I love olive oil. I use it almost exclusively for cooking (though not baking), and while I was aware that oils have different grades it never dawned on me that what I could really be drizzling on my salad was a cheap soy bean oil. what struck me most was when the guest said that it was entirely possibly that some Americans may have never tasted real extra virgin olive oil. I was so bummed out by the prospect that I may not even being enjoying one of the things I really love. the article ended and I changed the channel, fearful that the next article might tell me that dark chocolate wasn't actually chocolate or something.

1 comment:

hows yr edge said...

One time I made brownies* with olive oil. Not a good time.

* brownies = vegan, flat, fudgy thing from price chopper brand brownie mix.