Thursday, November 26, 2009

Spiced Autumn Cutlets

I am always promising The Husband (@isitvegan) that I will write up and post some of the recipes that he posts about on Twitter. I'm finally resolved to do it, so I'm starting with some Holiday recipes. Hope you enjoy!

Wanting to keep our Thanksgiving protein not only vegan but gluten free, I was at a bit of a loss this year. I knew I wouldn't be picking up a Tofurky and taking the easy route (not that there's anything wrong with that. But I knew I'd be making something from scratch.

Cut to me rummaging through my store of cookbooks in search of inspiration. So last Sunday I was was reading the expansive Mark Bittman classic, "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" and came upon the recipe for Spiced Autumn Vegetable Burger. I figured that I could make them into a pan fried cutlet and the flavor profile of sweet potato, greens, and some Serrano chili pepper would compliment the Thanksgiving feast. I improvised the recipe a bit to account for the ingredients on hand as well as the gluten free factor.

2 Cups Cooked Kale (I used raw spinach)
2 Cups cooked Cannellini Beans (I used pinto)
4 TBS Olive Oil
1 Medium Sweet Potato -Peeled & Grated
Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs (I used toasted & cubed GF Bread)
1/2 tps Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
Pinch Cayenne (I used a Serrano chili pepper and garlic instead)

1. Squeeze the water out of the greens and finely chop it. In a large bowl, mash the beans roughly and then stir in the greens with a fork.

2. In a deep skillet on medium heat, add 2 TBS oil. When the oil is hot add the sweet potato, salt & pepper. Stir and cook the sweet potato (about 15 mins). Once it's cooked, stir in the bread crumbs and other spices. (I started by shopping 2 cloves of garlic and the Serrano chili pepper. I added this to a cold skillet, added the oil and turned it to medium -creating an infused oil. Then I added the sweet potato, salt & pepper, but found the sweet potato was sticking to the pan- I added about a 1/4 cup water and let it cook.)

3. Add the sweet potato mixture to the bowl of greens & beans and mash it all together. You can add a little all purpose flour to help it stick together. I didn't have to - it came together really nicely.

4. Form into patties, about 4 inches long by 2 inches wide. Heat a nonstick pan to medium and add a Tablespoon of olive oil. Fry each patty until they reach a nice golden brown (about 4 mins on each side). Careful when flipping. They will become less fragile as they cool down a bit.

I brought these to Thanksgiving dinner on an oven safe dish and reheated them covered in the oven. (well actually I think my Mom did that part.) They were served over mashed potatoes today- but could easily be served on top of salad greens, rice or even a bun.

Overall this was a hit, and they got good reviews from the non-vegans as well.

No comments: