Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Recipe: Wild Mushroom Barley Risotto

Last week I was dead tired after walking the dogs. I sat down on the couch to watch a little Food Network. My intention, since the Husband was meeting his friends for dinner was to make myself a bowl of cereal for dinner but after rejuvenating for a few minuets and watching a little Rachael Ray, I was inspired to make a healthy meal. What got me was that she was talking about how she doesn't get home from work until 8 or 9 at night, but still makes dinner everyday because it makes her feel better. I thought, geeze, I get home at 5 or 6 and some days I still can't pull it together. I can do better!

What was worse, I actually made the risotto the night before because I had some spare time and the energy to cook, but was still going to eat cereal instead because I didn't feel like making the rest of the meal for "just me". The good news is that it was really easy to reheat and toss the watercress into the dish on the second day. Dare I say it was "delish"? Oh My!

Oh, and where did I get the recipe for such a dish? I found myself looking up Barley in How to Cook Everything Vegetarian and sort of went from there based on Mr. Bittman's loose directives. Man, I love that cook book.

Wild Mushroom Barley Risotto
1 package of Dried Wild Mushrooms -Re-hydrated in 4 cups hot water
1 Tbs Olive Oil
½ Sweet onion diced
2 cloves garlic
1Tbs Better Than Bullion (thx Renee for this recommendation- this stuff rules)
1Tbs Tomato Paste
1 ¼ Cup Pearl Barley
1 Cup Watercress roughly chopped – or any green

Heated the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until brown.
Scoop out the mushrooms from the water with a slotted spoon and add to the onion. Season with salt & pepper. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (2 mins). Add the barley and stir coating the grains. Add the reserved mushroom water to the pan and stir in the “Better than Bullion” and tomato paste. Cover, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until most of the liquid is gone and the barley is tender (30-40 mins). Stir in the watercress right before serving.

I served this with Roasted Grape Tomatoes and Crispy Steamed Green Beans

Roasted Grape Tomatoes
Heat the oven to 400-450. In a baking pan or pie plate toss a bunch of washed grape tomatoes in a single layer with a coating of olive oil and salt. Roast for about 30 mins in the oven.

No comments: